I just finished my first sewing challenge! Lucky Lucille’s “Sew for Victory” 1940′s Sewing Challenge!
This worked out well for me as I already had the fabric and pattern and had been intending to make this dress. My dress is Vogue 8811, a pattern that I had previously made for a client and now decided to make for myself.
It’s a very simple dress that I inted to jazz up with some jewelry and some espadrilles. The next dress I blog about, I hope to have some photos of me in it. My husband doesn’t take very good pictures of me (or maybe it’s his subject! lol), so when I pick up a tripod, I think I’ll be good to go!
I used peacock blue stretch cotton broadcloth for my dress and lined in with white broadcloth. This dress doesn’t have lining instructions in the pattern — it has facings. I don’t like facings very much and usually line my dresses unless the fabric is thick (and then sometimes I do anyway!)
I like to use cotton batiste or cotton voile to line cotton dresses, but I ordered this white broadcloth at the same time I had ordered the peacock [from Fabric Mart] and decided to use it as a lining. It does make the dress a little heavier, but it’s still cotton so breathable.
I didn’t put the darts in the back of the bodice and I addeda little bit to the sides and made the top of this dress a little bit more of a blouson bodice
I found this vintage buckle a couple of weeks ago at a sewing & craft show in the Bay Area. I thought about making a self fabric covered buckle, but thought the dress would be to monotone. And ahhh! You can the close up of my sewn grommetts…. I spend more time making those prettier for other people than for myself…..
I found this used vintage button in my grandma’s button box. It most likely is from the 1940s-50s as those are the ages of most of the buttons in that box. I also did not feel like making a thread loop as the pattern instructions advise you. Once again…. I spend more time making things for other people than myself…. I like ribbon better anyway. :)