A Candy Striped Jersey Tiramisu

Although I have had this dress made for a couple of weeks now and have worn it and washed it a few times already, I am just now getting photos and blogging about it!  I actually have a few things made to photograph as well….. ahhh, the holidays! :)

My Cake Tiramisu

My Cake Tiramisu

This the Tiramisu knit dress pattern by Cake Patterns.

il_fullxfull.404660035_36z0

There were a lot of firsts whilst making this dress.  First of all, I am not a sewer of knits and am not accustomed to working with them.  I also have never sewn with jersey, nor have I used a Cake Pattern.  Thus, it took me a little longer than it usually does to concoct a dress, but I’m certain it will run a bit smoother when I make my next Tiramisu.  And yes, there will be another one!  I am very happy with this one, although I do have to safety pin the bodice in order to not show too much cleavage.  I am going to adjust that next with a smaller cup size and hopefully that will help me.  Or, I’ll just wear a camisole underneath.  So far, a small gold safety pin has done the trick.  I always seem to have to use one with wrap and faux wrap dresses and skirts.

IMG_2052

My Tiramisu is made of a rayon/lycra jersey knit that I bought for $2.99/yd as a “crazy priced” sale fabric from Fabric Mart a couple of months ago.  It’s a very nice jersey and soooo comfortable to wear.  In fact, pairing this dress with leggings makes me feel like I’m wearing pajamas all day, and yet, I certainly don’t look like I’m out and about in my jammies, do I? :)

IMG_2050

the Tiramisu has instructions for cutting this pattern out on stripes, which made that part fairly easy.  It did take a bit of time to match the stripes up on the adjoining pattern pieces.  I did fairly well except for the shoulders, where it isn’t as seamless.  I only used my serger to finish the edges, but frankly, I’m a bit nervous about actually sewing knits with my serger, so I haven’t tried that yet.  Heck, I just managed to change the thread on my serger (with the help of my husband) from white to black…… baby steps….. yes….. baby steps!

IMG_2045

I certainly plan to make another Tiramisu in the future!  I am not sure how near that future will be yet as I have not found any knit fabrics that I like as much as this striped jersey.  But, I’m certain I will!  In the meantime, I’ve been working on some blouse/skirt outfits and Christmas gifts.  And yes, the 70 degree November here finally vacated and winter arrived a bit early to our ranch here in Northern California.  We had our first snow on Friday night which has been steadily melting since then.  I like me some cold weather!  Well…. cold for here!

Happy Sewing!

Dress:  Cake Tiramisu in rayon/lycra jersey made by me

Jacket:  Macy’s

Boots:  Aerosoles

Sunglasses:  Burberry

Comments

1. betterthanewe says

I just found your blog and am loving it! you inspired me to make this dress for myself… It has been a while since I have sewn a garment for myself (3 kids ago to be precise) but I think I will jump on the horse again and give it a go. Thanks for the inspiration!

2. says

Zow! I love this dress! I just bought this pattern and am excited to get it under way! Thanks for posting your awesome pics and giving me the motivation to get sewing again… It’s been a while.

• says

It just looks fantastic. You are very talented. Have you been busy planning for your next 1920s event? I loved the post you did on that! I often think of it! I do hope you go this year just so I can see the photos of it!

• says

I was actually just looking at fabrics to make another 20’s tea dress! I am thinking of using an ivory silk georgette that I already have and making a lavender slip to go underneath it. Going to look at more 20’s photos for inspiration.

• says

Look that sounds gorgeous, I tried to make my Christmas party dress in a 20s style. I did drop waisted and then added a long bow on one shoulder. I was very happy with it. They had such beautiful ideas. I watch Downton Abbey just to see the outfits! Now, there is some inspiration for you!!

3. says

This came out great. I’ve made this pattern a bunch of times, but never in a stripe. I really like that you chose a fabric where the stripes differ.

4. says

Oooh, I’ve been waiting to see this! :) I’m so glad you like it. I agree, it’s such a great design for stripes. I’ve used a print, solid, and stripes for it and I just can’t get over the effect from the stripes, definitely my favorite.

I always sew my knits on my sewing machine and finish them on the serger, but I know I’m in the minority on that one. I like to be more *precise* along the seamlines than I feel I can do with just the serger.

Can’t wait to see your next Tira… ;)

5. says

Your tiramisu looks amazing! Great stripe matching – a very slimming design feature that I am hoping to create too if I ever get around to making my own Tiramisu up! Hope you can solve the gaping issue for your next one.

6. dani e says

Super cute! I could change serger thread all day long but matching those stripes would be a nightmare for me. I love seeing your projects! im promising myself to make some clothes for just meas soon as the holidays are over. YoU inspire me! Thanks for sharing madam
    Dani e

• says

Thank you, Dani! Matching the stripes on this pattern isn’t bad as it has guides for the stripes and just tedious work making sure they meet at the seams. I hope you get to sew for yourself soon!