Here’s a dress that I’ve had finished for about a month now and worn several times already! Yes, I’m slow on the blog photos lately!This is McCall’s 7084, a shirtdress with princess seams and a gored skirt. I chose View A and made mine with quilting cottons. The black floral cotton is a floral print reminiscent of native North American indigenous beadwork, specifically the Ojibwe people. I picked this fabric up last summer in a small fabric store in Nebraska, but only bought a couple of yards (my mistake!), so had to be a bit inventive with a pattern. I chose to bring out the yellow, and paired this with a yellow cotton broadcloth.
Initially, I was going to make McCall’s 6696, but as I placed my pattern pieces on my fabric, I couldn’t get the gathered skirt pieces to fit no matter how I moved them. I thought about making the straight skirt version, but I wanted a little fuller skirt than that. I planned on cutting the skirt from 6696 into gores when this pattern came out and I decided that would be less trouble and jumped right in!
Inspired by Andie, I did some contrasting with my collar and front band. I also did contrast topstitching. I didn’t take any detail shots as this dress has been in rotation since it came off my dressform, but here is a cropped photo showing some of the detail.
I was spot on with the creation of this dress until it got to the buttons… I always saw this fabric with western snaps and bought some from Wawak just to go with this dress. I usually ace button placement, but snap placement? I’m on the beginner level with that. This was my first time using snaps, so I got out my trusty snap tool given to me by my MIL and practiced on scrap fabric before I got the hang of it. Even though I marked my snap placement carefully on the band, it’s a little off…. I’ve figured out how to remove them with the snap tool, but not how to not ruin them when they’re removed and I was out of snaps. I also added some extra snaps on the bodice, and of course that showed off the bit of band bubbling more… I considered buying more snaps and redoing this, but it doesn’t bother me as much as I thought it would and at this point, I really don’t care. As long as the bodice doesn’t burst, I’m good.
As far as this pattern goes, this is an exceptional one. I have not yet sewn together the famed McCalls 6696 shirtdress (although I have it cut out), but this one is a pleasure to work with. With the princess seams you can adjust the fit and the v-collar is less buttoned up and not constricting. Plus, pockets! Yay! 🙂
I didn’t do any alterations to this dress other than grading it up. I used rayon seam binding on the armholes and a medium weight interfacing which was a little too thick for this dress, but I made it work.
I’m looking forward to making the godet version of this pattern. It looks like you could really play around with colors and contrasts with this. I really can’t wait to see more versions of this pattern and especially Andie’s wedding dress!!
- Dress: McCalls 7084 in quilting cotton and cotton broadcloth, made by me
- Shoes: Swedish Hasbeens Debutantes
- Earrings/Bracelet: contemporary Dine (Navajo)
- Necklace: Icing