I’m back with another dress made for our trip last month to New England. My husband did take some photos in Massachusetts of this dress, but I didn’t care for them much, so I retook some photos at home.
I used the now OOP McCall’s 6890 and altered it a bit. My dress is the bodice of view D with the skirt of view B/C and self-drafted cap sleeves. This is a pattern I overlooked due to the photography and artwork on the envelope.
My intention was to use this ModCloth dress as my inspiration. A dress that is reminiscent of this dress.
My fabric is pink silk cotton with scattered yellow polka dots. I picked it up last year at The Fabric Store in Los Angeles. It’s such a beautiful fabric that I had to have it when I saw it on the bolt. I thought for a while about which pattern to use for this fabric and didn’t come up with one until I decided to use the blue ModCloth dress as my inspiration.
My dress is lined with pink cotton batiste and has an invisible zip on the bodice back. I’ve had other pullover woven dresses that weren’t easy to get into due to the lack of closures. However, I didn’t need this one as I can easily slip this dress on and off with no problems.
Megan suggested using sleeves similar to the ones from the Made by Rae Washi dress and shared a photo of the sleeve pattern with me. I drafted my own and cut the fabric on the fold similar to the Washi dress. This technique is ingenious as it leaves a clean finish with it’s own built-in facing. I plan to incorporate these sleeves on another dress in the future.
I didn’t follow the directions when I made this dress. The pattern does have an elastic waist, but I’m not sure if the route I took was the one the pattern suggested. I cut my elastic to a few inches smaller than my waist and made an elastic casing with the seam allowance on the waist and then threaded the elastic through before sewing the ends together. I then pinned the elastic down and top stitched the casing down on the outside of the dress.
In addition to sewing this dress, I also made another Muse Jenna cardi. The fabric is green merino wool jersey that Sophie-Lee sent me last year from New Zealand. This merino wool also came from The Fabric Store, albeit one on a different continent. When I was at TFS in LA, I was looking for this exact color of wool jersey which they didn’t have. I’m super happy that Sophie-Lee was able to get some for me! She also sent me some pink wool jersey that I haven’t sewn up yet.
Ever since I saw these two fabrics folded up next to each other in my sewing room, I envisioned wearing them together. I’m super pleased that I finally got around to making something with them! Paired with my cardi are these green heart buttons. I love adding little details like these to an otherwise simple garment.
I’ll leave you with one photo taken in Salem, MA. I don’t recall which historical home this is, but this is the beautiful back garden on the grounds and one lovely arbor that I’d love to have in my own garden. One interesting fact is that I am descended from a Salem “witch.” I found out that tidbit whilst doing some genealogical research a couple of months ago. My ancestor actually lived in North Andover and not Salem, but the Salem Witch Trials also took place in towns surrounding Salem. My ancestor was a tried and convicted “witch” (along with many of her family members), but her execution was delayed as she was pregnant (that son is the line I am descended from). She was later pardoned by the governor and released.
I honestly found these family facts more interesting than tracing royal lines….
- Dress: McCall’s 6890 in pink/yellow polka dot silk cotton, made by me
- Cardigan: Muse Jenna cardi in green merino wool jersey, made by me
- Shoes: Stuart Weitzman