Good morning, friends!
I’m super happy to finally share this dress with you! This is actually my Christmas dress. Yes, it’s March and I’m just now sharing it with you. To be honest, it’s been sitting in my sewing room since I wore it (and then laundered it) on Christmas. My reason for not wearing it again until this photoshoot is due to a minor alteration that I still haven’t done…. I figured it was better to iron it and take photos in it rather than wait for the mending mice in my sewing room to fix it.
This is the ubiquitous shirtdress pattern — McCall’s 6696. Surprisingly, this is only the second version that I’ve made, although I have another one on in my sewing queue. I made the bodice from version D with the skirt from version A/B.
The fabric I used is a lovely green tartan cotton from The Smuggler’s Daughter (no longer available). It’s a soft woven fabric that would have probably also worked well for a tablecloth or napkins — but I made a shirtdress with it, and it sewed up very nicely. Unfortunately, I didn’t order quite enough of it, so I had to cut my skirt a little shorter than my usual preference and I didn’t get the front placket wholly cut on the bias. I did manage to get the back yoke, collar and cuffs cut on the bias and matched up my plaids. So it would have been Christmas card worthy if I had actually taken a family Christmas card photo last year….
I did a swayback adjustment to the back bodice piece, but with my high waist, it still seems like there’s a lot of fabric going on back there. When I make this again, I might take out an inch or two from the back piece. In addition to the swayback adjustment, I also did a full bicep adjustment to the sleeves.
If you look below the belt in my photos you will see the reason why this dress has been sitting in my sewing room waiting to be worked on. I did not follow the buttonhole guide from the pattern and instead spaced and marked out my own buttons. There is a slight gap under the waistband as it needed a button in that area. I’ve been meaning to add a hook and eye closure on the inside to fix that, but obviously haven’t done so yet.
I suppose I should also share the story of this dress. My plans were to make this for Christmas and wear it in our Christmas photo. With the frenzy of renovating and moving before the holidays I didn’t sew for about a month. A few days before Christmas I decided to start sewing this and I worked diligently for a few hours at night, finishing it on Christmas Eve. I am not normally a night sewer, so that’s a new thing for me. I shared my progress on Instagram and I really think having my Insta-buds rooting for me helped me finish it in time. I spent holiday time with my family, hosted Christmas and still was able to sew this. It sure was a relief when the festivities were over and I relaxed! Next year, I hope to have my Christmas dress sewn up at least a few weeks prior. But don’t hold to me to that….
- Dress: McCall’s 6696 in green tartan cotton, made by me
- Belt: Macy’s
- Shoes: Aerosoles