Good afternoon, friends!
I’m excited to share this dress with you! I’ve already written a review of this pattern on the CSC, but finally had time to share it with you on my blog. This is a special dress that I made to wear to my niece’s First Holy Communion and one that’s been lingering in my sewing queue for quite a while.
This is McCall’s 7086, a retro re-issue from 1963 and part of the McCall’s Archive Collection. I was elated when I found that McCall’s had started this collection of retro patterns and I have all of them in my pattern stash and I’ve been waiting to see more…
I used this beautiful watercolor rose print cotton sateen that I bought a year or more ago from Fabric.com. I have a bit of an obsession with searching for border prints, and was happy to luck out on finding this one. It was originally meant for a different pattern, but as time went on, I decided to use it for this one.
This fabric is a double border print with a directional design. It was easy to figure out the skirt placement, but a little more when it came to the bodice. I laid my fabric out on my cutting table to figure out how I wanted to use it as well as draping it over my dressform. In the end, I decided to use the border on the top of the bodice pieces as well, making it appear as if the roses are falling down the dress. I cut the sash to blend in with that fabric and cut one of the roses for the bow. I am very happy with the result.
The bodice front is two pieces with a center seam and as I didn’t want to interrupt the print, I eliminated the center seam. I cut the skirt differently as well, making a rectangular gathered skirt which worked well with the border print. I graded this pattern up a couple of sizes, did a swayback adjustment to the bodice and widened the dolman sleeves. If I made this again, I’d add more room to them as this isn’t the most comfortable of dresses with those sleeves.
This dress is unlined (not sure why I didn’t take shots of the inside) and had a neckline facing. I installed an invisible zip to the center back and sewed a narrow hem. The cummerbund/sash is sewn into the side seams. It hangs down when the dress is on the hanger and I considered tacking it to the center of the bodice, but decided it needed to move around a bit when you’re wearing it. The knot/bow is tacked to the center of the sash and I did more hand sewing on the inside to make sure it didn’t show on the outside.
This dress is one of my favorites. I’m definitely in love with the colors and the print and it makes me feel very feminine and ladylike. My only issue would be the sleeves, so I will probably take them apart and add gussets for mobility. Who knows when I’ll do this as I’m verrrry slow to do alterations to garments that I’ve already made….
- Dress: McCall’s 7086 in rose border print cotton sateen, made by me
- Shoes: Aerosoles
- Earrings: Modcloth (affiliate link)