I’m still sharing my summer sewing…. Yes, I am stretching this out so far! I still have another dress left to photograph, plus 3 that are kind of UFO’s. I may not do anything with those until next spring as I am moving into fall/winter sewing and I don’t need another sundress right now. At least I hope I don’t! (We just had several days of 90+ degree temps here in Northern California again)
This dress is made using Vogue 8728, a pattern reissue from 1946. I’ve had this pattern for a while, but had yet to sew it. It’s been widely sewn throughout the SBC and there are many reviews on Pattern Review. A lot of versions seem to be in knit fabrics, but I doubt that I would ever sew this up in a knit.
I made this dress out of a yellow multi-colored polka dot silk crepe de chine that I purchased from Fabric Mart a long time ago. It’s been in my stash for a while as I considered what to do with it. I always thought it would make a good 1940’s dress as the colors/print seem like something I’ve seen before in vintage fabrics from that era. I was all about yellow this summer, so it seemed like an opportune time to pull this fabric out and sew it up.
I also sewed up a Muse Jenna cardi that goes perfect with this dress. I made this cardigan out of a lightweight yellow with white flecks sweater knit that I purchased from Fabric.com a while back. I had been looking for a yellow sweater knit for a while (why are they so hard to find?!) and happened upon this one. I wasn’t entirely pleased when it arrived as it seemed to sheer for a cardi, but it works perfect as a summer sweater and I’ll no doubt wear it for years to come. I found these lovely yellow buttons at Stonemountain and Daughter in Berkeley.
This pattern is perfect in silk crepe de chine as it drapes so beautifully and makes this peasant dress style a little more luxe. This particular crepe de chine is not very pleasant to sew. I’m not sure how to describe it, but it kind of sticks to my machine and doesn’t glide easily whilst sewing. I’ve never had this problem with other silk crepe de chines. I also went through 2 needles sewing this as my Schmetz Microtex needles seemed to dull whilst sewing this together.
I fully lined this dress with a yellow cotton batiste (yes, I am failing at photos of the insides lately!). I gathered the bodice front together first and then cut out the lining piece, which is not gathered. The silk slips and the band on the neckline shows occasionally and you can see my hand sewing stitches. At least they’re neat when they poke out! 🙂
I didn’t use the belt pattern piece included with this dress and instead cut my own. I wanted to use this vintage Bakelite buckle and as it’s a slide buckle with no prong, I wanted the belt to be longer so I could tuck it in. This belt looks great and stays in place on my dressform, but not on me. I spent the entire time wearing this fiddling with the belt as it slides around and doesn’t stay buckled. I have it safety-pinned for these photos, but I’d like to come up with a solution for this slippery fish. I’m not sure how much belt loops will help, but I might add them and see. I wore this dress out to dinner in Little Italy (NYC) and skipped the belt as I was tired of messing with it.
I know I say it quite often that I love the dresses that I make, but I really love this one. It feels so wonderful and light to wear and it’s a style that I’m drawn to. Peasant dresses are the epitome of summer to me and 40’s style peasant dresses seem a little less 70’s boho. This dress is comfortable and was a nice, easy sew. For some reason I thought that the midriff would be close-fitting, so I avoided this pattern for a while. I was happy to find that it wasn’t. This will definitely be a pattern I revisit when I get back to warm weather sewing as this dress is one of my favorites..
- Dress: Vogue 8728 in silk crepe de chine, made by me
- Belt: Self-drafted in silk crepe de chine with vintage Bakelite buckle, made by me
- Shoes: Swedish Hasbeens
- Earrings: BaubleBar
- Hair Flower: VeeVee Vintage on etsy