Surprise! It’s not a dress! 😉
I don’t often wear pants — especially in the warmer months — but I wanted a loose-fitting top to wear with jeans. Basically, I needed a blouse that looked good with skinny jeans and didn’t cling to me. I had seen the Scroop Henrietta Maria pattern a few months before and it stuck in my mind. It’s no secret that I’ve long had a love for peasant dress and blouse styles, but I was uncertain whether I actually needed to buy another pattern. After all, I have several vintage blouse patterns I could make, but this one seemed to offer something a little different, as well as fitting in with my favored aesthetic.
Scroop Patterns is a relatively new pattern company designed by Leimomi Oakes of The Dreamstress. I have followed her blog for a few years now (as well as the Historical Sew Monthly) and I am always inspired by what she creates. Leimomi is well versed in historical clothing and her pattern company mixes historical fashion with modern appeal. Leimomi is a fashion and textile historian and sewing teacher, so I expected a professionally drafted pattern and I was not disappointed.
The Henrietta Maria pattern is a shift dress or top with raglan sleeves. It has tucks on the neckline and on the sleeve cuffs and the top has options for both a straight and shaped high-low hemline. This version is View B with the shaped hem. I didn’t find it quite long enough in the front and didn’t have enough fabric to cut it much longer, so I added a hem band. The hem band is just a piece of fabric cut to fit the bottom of the top, folded in half horizontally and sewn to the shirt.
The fabric for this blouse was a find. As I’ve mentioned before, I love to go thrifting and antiquing and I’m always on the hunt for sewing stuff. However, I don’t often look through the fabrics at thrift stores as I am usually disappointed by a pile of quilting cotton and fleece remnants. I happened upon this multi-colored check print seersucker at one of my favorite thrift stores and scored it for $1. ONE entire buck for about 3 1/2 yards!
As I was trying to do some pattern matching with this blouse and the print is directional, I didn’t have quite enough fabric to cut out the full length of the sleeves, so my sleeves are little shorter. I also had to adjust the amount of tucks on the sleeves due to the shortened sleeves and where they fit on my arms. I put the majority of the tucks where they’re more noticeable and tacked down the rest of the sleeve facing.
I am super happy with this top and definitely look forward to making another. This top has been in weekly rotation since I made it, and I’m thinking that I should also make a coordinating skirt to wear with this. I already have plans to make the dress version in a summery cotton voile and I’m sure it will be a staple.